Create.

April 19, 2024

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesTeena Marie's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth ViewYear View
JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!

Saint George,UT,USA

Dec 23, 2009

Female

Goal Type:

Other

Running Accomplishments:

Mount Charleston Marathon 2016 - 3:17:51

Snow Canyon Half 2012 - 1:33:30

Spectrum 10K 2012 - 43:41 

Short-Term Running Goals:

Run a destination marathon. 

Complete a half Ironman.

Long-Term Running Goals:

Know when to hold 'em

Know when to fold 'em

Know when to walk away

Know when to run....

Personal:

Surrounded by the people I love. Life is good.

Passionate about my family, the University of Utah -- GO UTES, almond M&Ms, mountain biking, comfy t-shirts, Survivor, friends, and (of course) running.

Physical therapist at The Health and Performance Center at Dixie Regional Medical Center. I LOVE what I do. Seriously, living the dream!

Click to donate
to Ukraine's Armed Forces
Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 0.00
Easy MilesMarathon Pace MilesThreshold MilesVO2 Max MilesCrosstraining milesTotal Miles

45 minutes deep pool running

1000 meters swim

Boston:

Positives:

1. Get to run, or at least attempt to run, the historical Boston Marathon

2. Be with friends

3. A good chunck of the cost is not refundable, so just go and have fun regardless

Negatives:

1. Not be able to finish the race

2. Lose $550 of the $3000 for this trip

3. Get further behind in school

4. Worsen the anterior compartment/do more damage

Still haven't made up my mind. I keep going back and forth.

(But I haven't cried today!!! :))

Comments
From Tom Slick on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:39:17 from 168.179.156.166

Keep the faith and think positive....and don't go and over work it in the pool. Be conservative!

From Andy on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:42:49 from 159.212.71.173

In the worst case scenario you will start the race and not be able to finish. How will you feel if that happens? If you are alright with it then go and enjoy a great weekend with friends. If you feel that having your first Boston be a DNF would be too difficult to handle then save the money, focus on school and get your body healed. You are the only one that can make the decision. Whatever decision you make is the right decision. A couple of your recent blogs have me a little concerned about what this injury really is.

From AmberG on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:43:09 from 64.255.88.27

. . . praying for you Teena! You will make the right decision for you! I hope you are able to run, , ,take care this week. I would bring you chocolate covered cinnamon bears in a heart-beat if I lived closer! My Mom always wrote EGBOK at the beginning of each day in her planner. It stands for Everything's Gonna Be OK!!!

From Teena Marie on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:43:25 from 155.99.200.74

Thanks Slick! I was a good girl in the pool. I had planned on deep pool running for about 70 minutes (the time I had) but cut it short because I could feel that it might not be right. The swimming caused ZERO pain, so I did that for the rest of the time. :)

From Teena Marie on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:47:47 from 155.99.200.74

Andy -- I am pretty sure it is my Anterior Compartment Syndrome finally deciding not to heal on its own when resting. The pressure just isn't going down. But then again, I could be totally wrong. Totally!!!! I should probably go have it poked and tested ... stink!

Amber -- Thank you so so so much. Your mom is right!!! I know it will be. I have a history of making poor running decisions though, so the thought of making this one is probably more stressful than it should be. :) Silly me!

From RAD on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:55:50 from 67.172.229.125

I'd have to jump on Andy's boat this time. If you feel like you can run what you can at Boston, but willing to listen to your body and DNF if needed then GO! However, if that is going to completely ruin the whole trip and taint the race for you then forfeit the $ and move on. It all has to do with what you can mentally handle.

We are all still sending our best thoughts your way!! Chin up girl! No matter what you decide, we will all still love you and know how wonderfully amazing and marvelous you are!!

From KP on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 14:24:35 from 65.208.22.26

Go. Have fun. Experience Bean Town. You already BQ'd for next year; this will just be an intro to Boston for you... next year you can really rock it! Do school work on the plane and don't worry about it the rest of the time. You make excellent grades. HAVE FUN!!!

Praying for you, TM!

From Rhett on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 14:47:19 from 74.41.249.102

Teena, I'm being selfish when I say I think you should come to Boston. It will just be more fun with you there, but like Andy said, if it will ruin Boston for you to have to go slow and maybe not finish, it may be better to stay home. That being said, even if you came and did all the fun stuff with us and on Sunday night decided not to run, you would still have a blast watching and cheering and just being there seeing what will motivate you to heal and get ready for next year. I'm sure I'm no help, but I sure hope to see you there. What is the doc telling you about the possibilty of hurting yourself worse? That should definitely be taken into consideration.

From JulieC on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 14:49:06 from 168.103.185.178

Run IT easy, BIGGEST WINNER style : D

From DonGardinero on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:15:28 from 75.162.190.158

It's a tough call, Teena Marie!!! I honestly don't know what I would do if I were in your situation. Too bad you couldn't swim the race.

From Smooth on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 16:10:59 from 174.23.237.236

SSF ~ To me the money is the least concern, Ry would agree with me on that one! The more pressing one is the injury. If resting and all those PT stuff you've been doing doesn't help with the compartment syndrome, what does? BTW, to be honest with you, your interpretation of "resting" is not the same as mine. You have NOT been resting! You have been burning both ends of the candle with school, work, crazy xtraining, kids, etc. etc. etc. I wish your life isn't sooo busy that you'd find the time to get it re-checked.

I'm selfish as Rhett said: come to Boston for a get-away with Ry and enjoy the experience with friends. But, I am more concerned about your injury.

You know that with whatever decision you make, it will be the right choice for YOU and I(we) LOVE YOU and think the world of you!!! Still praying like crazy for you!!! :) :) :)

From DonGardinero on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 19:18:01 from 152.216.7.5

Teena...Consider this...How cool would it be to be at the finish line, watching the elites come in....Even BETTER, how cool would it be to see all of your friends finish? I think that alone would make the trip fantastic!!!

From MarcE on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 22:51:46 from 206.225.68.187

Yes, what they all said. I think you need to find a good doctor to give you serious advice. I know we're all your friends, but not doctors. We're all fine either way you decide. You're not letting anybody down by looking out for your best interests -- and you long-term ability to run. I know it's a tough decision -- if you do decide to go to Boston -- don't exercise for a single second more until Monday morning. That's your best chance of having any healing done. No pool, no eliptical, no nothing. :)

From Kathie on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 22:56:02 from 63.248.105.188

Oh Teena I am not sure what to say...I am like Rhett and Smooth, I want the whole harem to be there. I do like what Dale said - it would be a great race to watch but that would be mentally hard too.

From Teena Marie on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 23:19:11 from 174.52.45.85

Thanks Rachel and KP! Btw, KP, how did your test go???

Rhett -- It is so hard to know what to do. I am seeing YET another PT in the morning. One who apparently knows some different tricks when it comes to compartment syndrome. I also have an appt to have my pressure in that compartment guaged on Wednesday, but I want to cancel it because they will make me run hard to see how high they can get the pressure -- certainly ruining any chance of running Boston. So so so confused, I am!!! This is NOT how I planned it!!!

Julie -- You do everything BIGGEST WINNER style!!! I honestly don't know that I would even be able to run more than a handful of miles. Stink!

Dale -- Although I LOVE swimming ... I am so so so slow!!! :) Thanks for the smile though! :)

SSF -- I have an appt to have it rechecked this Wednesday, but that all but guarantees that I won't be able to run it since the pressure reading is invasive itself, let alone they will make me run hard to get the highest reading. BUT ... I also have an appt in the morning with YET another PT who deals with this kind of thing more. I don't even want to begin to count how much money I have spent these past couple of weeks on doctors, PT, tape, special compression sleeves, etc ... Not pretty!!!! :) Love and miss you SO SO SO much!!!

Dale -- Good point. But I think if there is not chance of running that Ry might just kick me out if I said we are going anyway!!! :)

Marc -- :) :) :) I just think you are fantastic!!! Swimming does not hurt even a little bit though. AND ... it is a HUGE stress relief for me. HUGE!!! :)

Kathie -- I love you!!!! Thanks for always be so good to me. I do want to be with the harem!

From MarcE on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 23:48:18 from 206.225.68.187

Teena...I finally got around to googling compartment syndrome. If that is what you have, you need to take care of it. The future of your leg depends on it...Boston will be around next year (it's really not that big a deal..I just pretend to be excited about it...I'm only going to see my Utah friends -- and heck, you see them all the time. And if you are going just to see me, you'll get another chance when I come out in June :-). Please take care of your leg..for you, your future ability to run, play golf, walk, etc.. (OK..the google search may be a little dramatic, but it does sound pretty serious).

From Smooth on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 23:59:27 from 174.23.237.236

Oh SSF ~ WOW! You ARE doing everything possible! Do you want me to come with you to any of the appts? I am so proud of you in taking charge. You are truly a TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH girl. I LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH!

Marc ~ I googled it couple weeks ago and it SCARED the heck out of me! Especially the acute form! I am praying for the best!

From Teena Marie on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 00:01:20 from 174.52.45.85

Marc -- You're so cute! I think the stuff you googled was likely acute compartment syndrome. Mine is chronic and I have been dealing with it for a while. Unfortunately, this is the worse it has ever been. I am diligent in checking for the signs of danger, and am confident that I am not causing any permenant tissue/muscle damage at this point due to lack of blood supply, etc.

I promise ... I am being careful. I do not think the pressure is in the permanant damage zone. Promise!! :)

From Teena Marie on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 00:03:59 from 174.52.45.85

SSF -- HI!!! We were blogging at the same time. And you are right ... it is not acute!!! :)

We will see what the PT has to say in the morning. I am going to make a decision by tomorrow night. We just figured out that we won't only be out $550, it will be closer to $800. STINK!!!!! Love you!!!

From Smooth on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 00:09:39 from 174.23.237.236

$800?!!! Yikes! STINK! STINK! STINK!

Hope the PT has good news and good intervention. LOVE YOU and MISS YOU SOOO MUCH!

From Teena Marie on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 00:13:19 from 174.52.45.85

SSF -- I don't know if he will or not. I talked to him on the phone today and he was nice enough to agree to meet me at 6:45 in the morning so I could make it to class. Very nice. He has worked with Olympians, the REAL soccer team, some of the Jazz players, the WNBA, Ballet West, and many others. And yet, he is kind enough to see me. He said that he has some tricks with KT tape ... I thought I had exhausted every trick in the book with that stuff, but hopefully not. :) I am trying not to get my hopes up ... but, of coure, they are.

From Smooth on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 00:18:59 from 174.23.237.236

Sounds like an AWESOME PT! You deserve the best! We have to keep our hopes up,,,and our faith strong! Get some sleep now, you're getting up super early! Hope you ate good tonight! I LOVE YOU! I'll call you in the morning.

From Teena Marie on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 00:48:32 from 174.52.45.85

Okay ... love you, SSF. Good night.

From Tom Slick on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 09:59:37 from 168.179.156.166

Well now its tuesday and as soon as you can I'd ("we")like to have a Boston Bound update. What did your PT or doctor have to say today?

From Kelli on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:10:18 from 71.219.92.128

I am going to be SELFISH as well and say COME!!!! I think it would be awesome to see the elites in Boston, SO AWESOME!!!! Plus, we are going to have so much and it just would not be the same without you.

BUT do not let it ruin Boston. If that is going to happen, stay away. Also, if you choose not to run, you will have plenty of time to do homework while you are there, so do not let that darn school be a factor!

EGBOK, for sure!!!!!! Good luck at the doctor today.

From Bonnie on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:59:24 from 64.119.33.134

Hope all went well this morning Teena ... I am sitting here with all fingers and toes crossed (and it is not easy to do with all these arthritic joints I have ;-)). Whether you run or not, I think Boston is a must on your playlist next week ... you can text, twitter or call us all and tell us how everyone is doing!

Good luck!!!

From timp on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:15:27 from 144.189.100.25

Teena, I'm really sorry this came up right before Boston. I really wish I could send some healing your way.

From Shimelle on Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:25:19 from 75.162.236.200

Just thinking, did you know I didn't actually decide to run for sure until the Saturday before (2 days). I just thought I would go, have fun, try running a few slow miles on Saturday, and see what the deal was. The leg felt good, so....yes, I had some pain for a few weeks after but it was worth it:) Just see what you can do. I hope it goes well and you have the time of your life!!!

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator
Featured Announcements
Lone Faithfuls
(need a comment):
Recent Comments: